A step by step guide on how to install ImageMagick in Windows
ImageMagick is powerful, free and open source software suite which contributed to create, edit, convert images throughout the years. It supports creating various type of image formats. The library is available on different versions of operating systems like windows, linux, mac etc. It is easy to install on Unix OS from command prompt but creates much more headache on Windows. Today, I am giving step by step instructions on how to install ImageMagick in Windows. This steps will work both on Xampp and Wamp servers.
- Download ImageMagick .dll files from https://pecl.php.net/package/imagick. . You must download appropriate version getting help from your phpinfo() status by searching on “Architecture” and “PHP Extension Build”.
- Extract and copy all files to php extension directory. For example, C:\xampp\php\ext (for Xampp).
- Also copy all the CORE_RL_* files to apache bin folder. For example, C:\xampp\apache\bin.
- Edit php.ini file and add extension=php_imagick.dll line in extensions section.
- Next install ImageMagick binary release version for Windows from http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php#windows. Customize the installation path to C:\ImageMagick.
- Copy all files from C:\ImageMagick\modules\coders and C:\ImageMagick\modules\filters to C:\ImageMagick to load ImageMagick supported formats.
- Next, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Environment Variables -> Set New System Variable -> MAGICK_HOME = C:\ImageMagick.
- Now start/restart the Xampp/Wamp server and check phpinfo(). Your library should be displayed like above. If nothing shows, check C:\ImageMagick is available to the path variable under Apache Environment. If not, restart your windows machine.
- If you notice that ImageMagick variable ImageMagick number of supported formats is 0, then you have to reinstall exact version of ImageMagick which you can get from Imagick using ImageMagick library version variable. You can grab the version from ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/releases/ or older version from http://windows.php.net/downloads/pecl/deps/ before checking “Imagick compiled with ImageMagick version” or “Imagick using ImageMagick library version” in your phpinfo() file.
- First uninstall the previous version of ImageMagick and download your required version. Extract it on the same location C:\ImageMagick. Now you have to modify the Environmental variable to MAGICK_HOME = C:\ImageMagick\bin. Next restart windows and check phpinfo() again.
Hope you have installed ImageMagick following the steps given above. Comments are welcome to all.